Beyer Home Museum
(917 Park Avenue, Oconto)
The Beyer Home was built in 1868 by Cyrus and Kitty Hart; it is believed to be one of the first brick homes in the county with the bricks being shipped to Oconto from DePere. The building passed through several owners before becoming the home of George and Fanny Beyer in 1881. Though the original structure was an Italianate-style, the Beyers remodeled it into a Queen Anne style home adding a wrap-around porch, three-story tower room and entry, a south bay addition, and new windows, many of which included leaded glass.
In 1941, the county acquired this home and turned it over to the county historical society with the stipulation that it become a museum for all to enjoy. During the 1970’s the interior of the home was completely restored to the 1890s and furnished in Victorian fashion.
The adjacent Annex contains Copper Culture artifacts, old Main Street Oconto store exhibits, and early settler and logging items. The urban barn houses carriages and electric cars.
The building are open to the public as a fine example of how the small town wealthy lived. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Museum is open daily for public tours June 1 through Labor Day.
For additional information contact the Oconto County Historical Society at (920) 834-6206 or visit www.ocontoctyhistsoc.org
Copper Culture State Park was established after discovery in 1952 of artifacts relating to the Old Copper Culture. These artifacts date from about 4000 to 3000 BC. Burial ground of North Americas earliest metal users, the Oconto Site is the oldest dated cemetery in eastern North America. The museum is open to the public Saturdays 12-4, here visitors can learn the story of the ancient copper culture people and view displays and dioramas. A foot trail leads from the parking area to a stone monument at location of burial ground. National Registry of Historic Places, 1966. For additional information contact the Oconto County Historical Society at (920) 834-6206 or visit www.ocontoctyhistsoc.org
Mill Street, Oconto
(1/2mile west of US 41)
First Christian Science Church
(corner of Main and Chicago Streets, Oconto)
Built in 1886 for $1,137.20, this structure is the first edifice built for Christian Science services in the world. Although the Mother Church in Boston had started a number of years before, no building had been completed for the express purpose of worship until Oconto’s church was erected.Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy, founder of Christian Science, was in Chicago in 1884 to teach a class, several women from Oconto went to take instruction, including Mrs. Lovina Milledge.
Upon returning to Oconto, Mrs. Milledge opened her home to the students of Christian Science and for Sunday worship. The group steadily grew through healings and it was decided that a church should be built. Mrs. Eddy gave her permission, and Mrs. Victoria Sargent accepted donations. Many who were not Christian Scientists gave funds, as Oconto was then a “hard” lumbering town and it was thought another church would be a good influence.
With the exception of modern lighting and heating installation, the church remains virtually unchanged. Built on cedar pilings with a wood exterior, a basement was added in 1916 when a heating plant was installed. The Church maintains a reading room in the basement, containing historical documents relating to the church, and current publications about Christian Science. Although the congregation has never been large, the church has continuously held Sunday services since 1886. Presently they are held at 10:30AM on Sunday. This structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Tours are now available May 1 through October 15. Visitors may arrange a tour by contacting the Oconto Visitor Center, 110 Brazeau Ave (Z’s Cheese), phone (920) 834-6254.
The campground has 130 sites surrounded by the Oconto River, with laundry facility, shower facility and RV sanitary station. In the winter the park puts on its brightest and best for Winter Wonderland, with over 100 beautiful lighted trees and displays.
The park features a boat launch, pool, playground, picnic shelter, and baseball diamonds. For information and reservations phone (920) 834-7732.
Holtwood Park & Campground
(McDonald Street to Holtwood Way)
Oconto River Harbor – Harbor Road, Oconto
(Main Street/County Y east to Harbor Road)
The Oconto Harbor is a popular water sports area, located at the mouth of the Oconto River as it enters Green Bay. Breakwater Part provides paved boat launches, a picnic shelter, transient docking and marine pump out stations. The harbor is sheltered by a 3,000 foot stone break wall that extends into Green Bay.
Oconto has long been known as the “perch capital of the world”, and the Oconto River has produced trophy bass, walleye and brown trout. For information phone (920) 834-7711.
The Bellin Health Bond Community Center is a member supported fitness, recreational and wellness facility serving the community with healthy lifestyle activities geared for all ages and abilities in a refreshing, welcoming and friendly environment.
For additional information contact them at (920) 834 – 5585 or visit http://www.bellinfitness.com/locations/oconto/
Bellin Health Bond Community Center
(1201 Park Avenue, Oconto)
Bellin Health Oconto Hospital and Clinic
(820 Arbutus Avenue, Oconto)
Bellin Health Oconto Hospital and Clinic is your hometown hospital offering exceptional Bellin care. Our recently expanded facility and capabilities mean we can take care of your health and wellness needs on one campus. Medical care is provided at Bellin Health Oconto Hospital and Clinic with 24/7 Emergency Care, Primary Care, Specialty Care, Diagnostics, Outpatient Services and more. Fitness and exercise programs are provided at Bellin Health Bond Community Center.
Phone: (920) 835-1100 or visit www.bellin.org/oconto
The Oconto Marsh & Rush Point Refuge is located just north of the City of Oconto on the west shore of Green Bay. Covering more then 800 acres, the marsh is an area rich in birdlife, which includes: Wood Ducks, Ring-neck Ducks, Snowy Owl and Scoters and many, many more.
It also encompasses a state waterfowl sanctuary and a breeding ground for the “yellow-headed blackbird”. Take a walk along the 2.8 mile mowed path and see what you discover.
Keep your eyes open and the camera close by. Whether at the Oconto Marsh Refuge, Breakwater Park & Harbor or any other site in Oconto be sure to look to the skies as you never know when you might see one of the Nations prettiest birds. For more information click here.
Oconto Marsh Wildlife Preserve
(County Y – approx 1 mile north east of the City)
Historic West Main Street
This area of Main Street features thirty-three structures on the National Register of Historic Places. Visitors will enjoy a self-guided walking tour of the houses that were once homes of wealthy lumber mill owners. At the end of this historic district is the first church erected in the country for the practice of Christian Science. Visitors can get a copy of the walking tour brochure from the Oconto Visitor located at the Wagner Shell on Business Hwy 41, 517 Smith Ave, Oconto or call 920-834-6254
The Governor Schofield Mansion, a classic Italianate-style home, circa 1865 was the brick mansion of former Governor Edward Schofield. It has been lovingly restored and beautifully decorated. In the past the Mansion operated as a bed and breakfast, which included “The Oakwood” upscale dining establishment. The Oakwood was the title the Governor gave his estate.
Today the Mansion is a private home.
Governor Schofield Mansion Main Street, Oconto
Machickanee Players Community Theater
(408 Park Avenue, Oconto 920-834-4353)
The only dinner theater in Northeastern Wisconsin, the Machickanee Theater puts on shows each year suitable for the entire family. Their productions range from Neil Simon plays to shows written by local playwrights. Known for its community involvement, the Machickanee Players Theater is a great way to enjoy great local theater. Call for show schedules and ticket information. Website: www.themachickaneeplayers.org